Weekly State Disability Insurance (SDI) benefit amounts are calculated using a base period. This base period covers 12 months and is divided into four consecutive quarters of three months each. The wages an individual was paid approximately 5 to 18 months before the SDI claim begins are included in the base period (they must have been subject to the SDI tax). The base period does not include wages paid at the time an individual’s disability or need to be off work to provide family care or to bond with a new child begins.
If an individual’s claim begins on or after January 1, 2013:
- January, February, or March, the base period is the 12 months ending last September 30. (Example: A claim beginning February 14, 2013, uses a base period of October 1, 2011, through September 30, 2012.)
- April, May, or June, the base period is the 12 months ending last December 31. (Example: A claim beginning June 20, 2013, uses a base period of January 1, 2012, through December 31, 2012.)
- July, August, or September, the base period is the 12 months ending last March 31. (Example: A claim beginning September 27, 2013, uses a base period of April 1, 2012, through March 31, 2013.)
- October, November, or December, the base period is the 12 months ending last June 30. (Example: A claim beginning November 2, 2013, uses a base period of July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2013.)
For an SDI claim to be valid, an individual must have at least $300 in wages in the base period. The weekly benefit amount is determined by using the quarter in which an individual was paid the highest wages. Refer to the DI and PFL Weekly Benefits Chart for further information.
- For disabilities beginning January 1, 2014, or after, weekly benefits range from $50 to $1075.
You may need to download the free Adobe Reader to view and print linked documents.
This Google Translate™ translation service is provided for informational purposes only as the EDD is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation. View Disclaimer
- SDI Online
- SDI Automated Phone Information System
- SDI Office Locations
- SDI Forms and Publications
- SDI Self-Service Options