An overpayment happens when you receive Disability or Paid Family Leave Insurance benefits you should not have received. Once State Disability Insurance (SDI) determines that you were overpaid, the SDI office will send you a form in the mail to explain the reason for your overpayment.
It is important that you complete and return all information requests, as there are some instances when an overpayment can be waived. If it is determined that you were overpaid and the overpayment cannot be waived, you must repay this money.
Benefit payments issued after an overpayment is established may be reduced by 25 to 100 percent to collect your overpayment. You will receive a “Notice of Overpayment Offset,” if a reduction is taken for a DI, Paid Family Leave, or Unemployment Insurance overpayment.
- For questions regarding your overpayment, call SDI at 1-800-480-3287.
- To set up a payment arrangement, call the EDD Benefit Overpayment Collection Section at 1-800-676-5737.
- To make payment by credit card.
This Google Translate™ translation service is provided for informational purposes only as the EDD is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation. View Disclaimer
- SDI Online
- SDI Automated Phone Information System
- SDI Office Locations
- SDI Forms and Publications
- SDI Self-Service Options