Skip to Main Content
Employment Development Department
Employment Development Department

FAQ - Disability Insurance (DI) Benefits

Show All | Hide All

The Employment Development Department (EDD) calculates your weekly benefit amount using a base period. This base period covers 12 months and is divided into four consecutive quarters of three months each. The wages you were paid approximately 5 to 18 months before the disability claim begins are included in the base period (they must have been subject to the State Disability Insurance [SDI] tax). Your base period does not include wages paid at the time your disability begins. For more detailed information, visit Calculating Disability Benefit Payment Amounts.

Your weekly benefit amount is approximately 55 percent of the earnings shown in the highest quarter of your base period. There is an exception. If your highest base period quarter earnings are between $75.00 and $1,749.20, visit California Unemployment Insurance Code, Section 2655 or contact SDI.

You may collect up to 52 weeks of full DI benefits, or the amount of wages in your base period, whichever is less. You may be paid for periods longer than 52 weeks if your benefits are reduced because you returned to work on a part-time basis, or if you received other money during your disability claim period. You may want to contact the Social Security Administration if your disability will be extended.

The EDD sends you the Notice of Computation (DE 429D) to let you know we have received your claim for DI benefits and to tell you your potential weekly benefit amount. The EDD may need further information before making a determination of your eligibility. Benefit payments are normally issued within two weeks of the EDD receiving a properly completed claim; however, if we need to request additional information, more time may be needed to process your claim.

The first seven days of every claim is a non-payable waiting period. If a claim is filed for the same or related cause or condition within 60 days of the initial claim, it will be processed as a continuation of the initial claim for which a waiting period was already served. There will not be a new waiting period in such cases.

No. Once your claim is established, your base period and your DI weekly benefit amount remain the same for the duration of that disability claim.

Your DI benefits are reportable for tax purposes only if you receive DI benefits in place of Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits. In this case, your DI benefits are considered a substitution for your UI benefits, which are reportable for tax purposes.

Yes. However, Social Security may reduce the amount you receive for DI benefits. For further Social Security Administration (SSA) eligibility requirements, visit the SSA website.

You must report in writing or contact the DI office immediately:

  • If you have returned to part-time or full-time work.
  • If you have recovered from your disability.
  • To report a date of death on behalf of a deceased claimant.

To advise the EDD in writing of your return to work, return the Notice of Automatic Payment (DE 2587) form, or contact DI at 1-800-480-3287 or online Ask EDD.

You must report the following wages to the EDD: Back Pay, Bereavement Pay, Bonus Pay, Commissions, Donated Sick Leave Credits, Earnings from Partial Return to Work, Holiday Pay, In Home Support Services wages, In Lieu of Notice Pay, Military Pay, Paid Family Leave benefits, Paid Time Off, Plant Shut Down Pay, Residuals, Rerun Fees, Reuse Fees, Sick Leave Pay, UI benefits, or Workers’ Compensation benefits.

If you fail to notify the EDD of these changes, you may incur an overpayment. An overpayment occurs when you receive DI benefits you were not entitled to receive. If you deliberately report incorrect information or if you willfully omit or withhold information, then a false statement disqualification of up to 92 days will be assessed. In addition, any resulting overpayment will be increased by a 30 percent penalty assessment.

To report your return to work date using Ask EDD, follow the steps below:

  1. Go to the EDD Home page.
  2. Select Contact EDD, located in the upper right corner.
  3. On the Contact EDD page, select Ask EDD.
  4. On the Ask EDD page, select the Disability Insurance Benefits category from the drop-down menu.
  5. Select the Miscellaneous sub-category from the drop-down menu.
  6. Select the How do I report a return to work date? topic from the drop-down menu.
  7. Enter your contact information and select Continue.
  8. Enter your return to work date and indicate either full-time or part-time.
  9. Enter the date of recovery and your return to work date.NOTE: If you are reporting that the claimant has passed away, please enter the date of death. Benefits are payable through the date of death.
  10. Select submit and you will receive a seven-digit reference number. Please allow 24-48 hours processing time.

To prevent an overpayment you must report in writing or contact the DI office immediately:

  • If you have returned to part-time or full-time work.
  • If you have recovered from your disability.
  • To report a date of death on behalf of a deceased claimant.

Please ensure your employer promptly returns the Notice to Employer of Disability Insurance (DI) Claim Filed (DE 2503) form. If you recover or return back to work, you need to return the Notice of Automatic Payment (DE 2587) form, or contact DI at 1-800-480-3287 or online using Ask EDD.

In order for the EDD to provide assistance, you must have received your first billing notice. The Benefit Overpayment Statement of Amount Due (DE 8301R) form is a billing notice that is automatically generated and mailed to you each month. If you have not yet received this notice, please contact the DI office at 1-800-480-3287.

You have the flexibility to make payments by credit card; however, a convenience fee is charged if you elect to use this option. Note: This process will take 3-5 business days to post to your account. To make a payment online, visit The following credit cards are accepted: MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. All credit card payments will be assessed a convenience fee of 2.35% of the payment amount each time you use this service. For additional information regarding credit card payments, contact Official Payments at
1-800-272-9829. Contact the Benefit Overpayment Collections Section at 1-800-676-5737 to inquire about payment arrangements or to establish a payment schedule.

If you have lost your billing notice, please mail your personal check, money order, or cashier’s check to the address listed below. Please write your Social Security number on all remittances.

Make remittance payable to: EDD.
Mailing address:
Employment Development Department
P.O. Box 826806
Sacramento, CA 94206-0001
Phone number: 1-800-676-5737