Skip to Main Content
Employment Development Department
Employment Development Department

Workforce Partners - Access to California Jobs

Persons looking for work in California can find suitable jobs on the Internet in the California Job Openings Browse System (CalJOBSSM) or America’s Job Bank (AJB). If necessary, Job Service staff in EDD field locations will provide assistance in using the Internet systems, and can provide other job finding services.

Some of the jobs listed in CalJOBSSM and AJB were entered directly by the employer. These job openings include the employer’s name and have specific instructions on how to contact the employer and apply for the job. If you meet the employer’s qualifications, you should apply directly.

Listed jobs that do not identify the employer are available only through the EDD Job Service. Job seekers should follow the EDD contact instructions in the job listing.

Information on Legal Status and Authorization to Work

Federal law prohibits employers from hiring persons who are not in the United States legally or do not have authorization to work in the United States.

California state law prevents the EDD from providing employment services to persons who are not in the United States legally or do not have authorization to work in the United States.


"Legal status" means the person is legally entitled to live in the United States. Legal status can be:

"Authorization to work" refers to the permission granted by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to legal temporary residents, allowing them to work while they are in the U.S.

California’s Legal Requirements

California law requires that, prior to providing a job referral, EDD review specified documents to verify a jobseeker’s legal status and authorization to work in the United States. The requirement applies to all applicants for EDD services, whether or not they are U.S. citizens or nationals, temporary or residents aliens, residing in or out of California.

Jobseekers living in or visiting California may visit any EDD Job Service location for verification of the legal status and authorization to work prior to referral to a job.

Job seekers from outside California will be required to submit:

Until this requirement is met, EDD staff cannot provide a job referral. If these required documents are not submitted, no further action will be taken.

Acceptable Documentation

EDD will accept the following documents to establish your legal status or authorization to work.

Birth Certificate:

U.S. Military Identification Cards, unexpired:


Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) Documents:

Other Certification: