Skip to Main Content
Employment Development Department
Employment Development Department

WIA Questions and Answers - ETPL

Show All | Hide All

The WIA Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL) questions and answers (Q&A) may include areas such as the application process, requirements, access to the list, and more.


Yes, the training provider must be on the ETPL before a participant may use his/her WIA Title I-B training voucher or individual training account funds.

Before an entity may receive WIA Title I-B funds to provide training to adults and dislocated workers, the State must first determine that the entity has met the federal and State requirements to qualify as an eligible training provider. As an eligible training provider, the entity would be added to the ETPL, thereby expanding customer choice for participants in need of training.

The WIA 122 and the corresponding regulations at Title 20 of the Code of Federal Regulations (20 CFR) Part 663 Subpart E outline the federal requirements that an entity* must meet in order to qualify to receive WIA Title I-B funds as an eligible training provider for the adult and dislocated worker programs. The WIA 122 and the corresponding regulations also mandate the Governor to establish State policies and procedures regarding eligible training providers and to create a list of those eligible training providers. Local Workforce Investment Boards similarly are required to establish local policies and procedures.

The WIA Directive WIAD06-15 disseminates the State’s policies and procedures, and the ETPL satisfies the State’s requirement to maintain a list of eligible training providers as a means of offering participants a choice of training providers with verified performance.

*[With three special exceptions not relevant to this question: providers of customized training, providers of on-the-job training, and Local Workforce Investment Boards that have received a waiver to provide training.] [10/06]

If you are a training provider who would like to be on the California Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL), please contact your Local Workforce Investment Area (LWIA) where you will provide the training service. Procedures may differ between LWIAs, but there should not be a charge for processing your application. [7/05]

The ITA may be established on behalf of WIA Title I adults and dislocated workers. To be eligible for training and for an ITA, individuals must first have met the requirements stated in Title 20 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Sections 663.310 and 663.320. The basic requirements in those sections are (1) that the individual has received at least one intensive service and has been determined unable to obtain or retain employment through intensive services, and (2) the individual is unable to obtain needed training wholly funded by other sources. Refer to the two aforementioned sections for the complete scope of the requirements. As stated in Title 20 CFR Section 663.410, the ITA must be used to purchase services from eligible training providers. Payments may be made in a variety of ways, including electronic transfers of funds through financial institutions, vouchers, purchase orders, debit cards, checks, or other appropriate methods. As stated in Title 20 CFR Section 663.420, Local Workforce Investment Boards (LWIB) may impose limits on ITAs, such as limitations on the dollar amount and/or duration. [5/04]

The passage you cite in the preamble actually states that training providers operating under the ITA exceptions must qualify as "eligible providers," not as meeting the "ETPL criteria" as posed in your question. Appropriate service providers may be selected as long as the LWIA takes into consideration the specific geographic and demographic factors where the program operates and the characteristics of the special population being served. [12/03]

Training institutions, not on the ETPL, may provide training for these projects. However, the training institution must meet state licensing requirements, such as those governed by the Bureau of Private Postseconday and Vocational Education. [3/02]

Yes. While you are correct that there are not residency requirements for services under WIA, the provider selected for training must be listed on California’s Employment Training Provider List (ETPL). While the placement of a service provider on the ETPL is at the discretion of any Local Workforce Investment Area (LWIA) in the state, the LWIA creating an Individual Training Account may decide whether a specific service provider may be used. [12/01]

Yes. The WIA Section 134(d)(3)(C)(vi) indicates that short-term prevocational services are considered intensive services. The WIA does not require that intensive service providers be on the ETPL. All classroom training providers are required to be on the ETPL regardless of whether or not they issue a credential. [6/01]

A provider can apply to any LWIA where it intends to provide services. Since the listing of a program on the Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL) by a local area makes the program available in all local areas, it is unnecessary for any provider to apply to more than one LWIA. [4/01]