e-Services for Business
New State Law: Electronic File and Pay Requirement
Employers will soon be required to electronically submit employment tax returns, wage reports, and payroll tax deposits to the Employment Development Department.
- Beginning January 1, 2017, employers with 10 or more employees will be required to electronically file and pay.
- Beginning January 1, 2018, all remaining employers will be required to electronically file and pay.
For more information, visit E-file and E-pay Mandate for Employers.
e-Services for Business is your fast, easy, and secure way to manage your employer payroll tax account online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.*
- Register for an employer payroll tax account number.
- File, adjust, and print returns/reports.
- Make payments.
- View and update account information.
- Close or re-open an employer payroll tax account.
- File a Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34).*
- File a Report of Independent Contractor(s) (DE 542).*
- Fulfills the new e-file and e-pay mandate for employers.
- No cost to enroll and use.
- Provides confirmation when your return, report, or payment is received.
- Saves time by saving basic account information for future transactions.
- Reduces paper and mailing cost.
*The DE 34 and DE 542 may be filed from 5 a.m. to 12 midnight, Pacific Time, 7 days a week. All other services on this page may be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
How to Enroll in e-Services for Business
- How to Enroll as an Employer
- How to Enroll as an Employer Representative/Payroll Agent
- I Want to Enroll for a Username and Password to Use Employer Services Online (Tutorial)
- I Want to Register for a California Employer Payroll Tax Account Number
- I Want to File a Tax Return or Wage Report
- Employer of Household Worker(s)Quarterly Report of Wages and Withholding (DE 3BHW)
- Employer of Household Worker(s) Annual Payroll Tax Return (DE 3HW)
- Quarterly Contribution Return (for Voluntary Plan Employers (DE 3D)
- Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (DE 9) or Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (Continuation) (DE 9C)
- Quarterly Contribution Return for School Employers(DE 9423)
- I Want to Make a Payroll Tax Deposit (DE 88) Payment
- I Want to File a Report of Independent Contractor(s) (DE 542)or Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34)