Able and Available AA 475 - Fact Finding Guide
If the claimant is restricting his/her availability to part-time work, it must first be determined whether the claimant meets the part-time work criteria under UI Code Section 1253.8 (refer to BDG AA5 for a complete discussion of the part-time work criteria).
- If the claimant meets the criteria to restrict to part-time work under UI Code Section 1253.8, no further investigation is necessary. The claimant would be approved for part-time work regardless of the reason why the claimant is restricting his/her availability.
- If the claimant does not meet the criteria to restrict to part-time work under UI Code Section 1253.8, then the claimant’s eligibility must be adjudicated under UI Code Section 1253 (c). Continue with the fact finding questions below.
Fact Finding Guide
- What is the status of the claimant’s union membership?
- If the claimant is not in good standing with the union, why? What effect does this have on his or her obtaining union work?
- If the claimant is not a member of the union that has jurisdiction over work in his or her usual occupation, does the claimant have a working permit? Can such a permit be readily obtained? Does it allow the claimant equal hiring rights with the regular members? If not, what are the limitations?
- Are members permitted to seek their own work?
- Does the union have a placement/dispatch facility? If so, what are the registration and reporting requirements?
- What action is taken against members who fail to comply with the registration and/or reporting requirements?
- Has the claimant restricted his or her availability for work with the union dispatch facility? If so, how has the restriction effected his or her potential field of employment?