$25 Stimulus Payments
Federal legislation signed into law on February 17, 2009, allows for a weekly $25 stimulus payment. This $25 stimulus payment will be added to each week of UI benefits paid to eligible workers in California. The federal legislation states that these $25 stimulus payments are only payable for weeks of unemployment that start February 22, 2009. To be potentially eligible to receive the federal stimulus payments, a worker must file a regular UI, or Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) claim, with a benefit year that begins on or before May 23, 2010. Federal extensions based on a regular claim with a benefit year beginning on or before May 23, 2010, are also potentially eligible to receive the federal stimulus payments. Federal stimulus payments are payable only for eligible weeks of unemployment beginning February 22, 2009, through December 5, 2010.
The EDD will automatically add the $25 stimulus payment to each eligible paid week of unemployment. You do not need to contact EDD to apply for the $25 stimulus payments.
Since the $25 stimulus payments are added to your regular UI benefits, the $25 stimulus payment will not reduce the amount available on your regular UI claim, DUA claim, federal extension, or Federal-State extension.
Who Is Eligible For The Additional $25 Stimulus Payments
You may be potentially eligible to receive the additional $25 stimulus payments each week if you:
- Have a regular UI claim, a federal or FED-ED extension on a regular claim, or a DUA claim effective on or before May 23, 2010.
- Submit a continued claim form the weeks beginning February 22, 2009, through December 5, 2010.
- Meet all other eligibility criteria,
- Are eligible for at least $1 in UI benefits.
The additional $25 stimulus payments are entirely funded from the federal general fund, which means employers’ reserve accounts will not be charged for any additional $25 stimulus payments paid to claimants.
- Apply for UI or Reopen a UI Claim
- Certify for UI Benefits
- Access UI Payment Information
- Forms and Publications
- More Help for the Unemployed
Top Links This Month
- EDD Web-CertSM
- Ways to File
- UI Telephone Numbers
- Where is My Payment
- Managing Your UI Benefits
- Benefit Determination Guide