Certify by Mail
If you choose to certify for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits by mail, you must sign and mail a properly completed Continued Claim Form (DE 4581) to the Employment Development Department (EDD). You will receive a Continued Claim form within 10 days of EDD processing your application or previous Continued Claim form for UI benefits. If you are determined initially eligible after filing your application for benefits and you meet all eligibility requirements on the Continued Claim form you return to us, a payment and a Continued Claim form for the subsequent week(s) are issued. Claim forms are submitted every two weeks.
Important: For faster processing of your certifications and to avoid mail delays, the EDD highly recommends that you submit your certifications online through UI OnlineSM or by phone through EDD Tele-CertSM at 1-866-333-4606.
For a sample of the Continued Claim Form (DE 4581):
DE 4581CTO - English DE 4581CTO/A - Armenian DE 4581CTO/CC - Chinese-Cantonese DE 4581CTO/CM - Chiniese Mandarin DE 4581CTO/H - Hmong DE 4581CTO/K - Korean DE 4581CTO/L - Laotian DE 4581CTO/P - Punjabi DE 4581CTO/R - Russian DE 4581CTO/S - Spanish DE 4581CTO/T - Tagalog DE 4581CTO/V - Vietnamese
Submitting the Continued Claim Form by Mail
Follow the steps below when certifying by mail.
- Fill out the form: Fill out the form with blue or black ink. Mark the answers by completely filling in the box. Answer all questions for the week(s) on the form. Your form will NOT be processed if you fail to complete your form and a duplicate (reissued form) will be mailed to you for completion.
- Sign the form: Sign your name within the signature space provided. Your form will NOT be processed if you fail to sign the form and a duplicate (reissued) form will be mailed to you for completion..
- Mail the form: Put a stamp on the envelope and make sure the EDD mailing address appears in the window of the envelope. Mail the Continued Claim Form (DE 4581) on the date shown on the front of the claim form (above question 1) using the envelope provided. Certifying for benefits more than 14 days after the last week ending date of the certifying period or 14 days after your last payment date, whichever is later, may cause you to lose your benefits.
- Understanding the Continued Claim Certification Questions
- A Guide to Benefits and Employment Services (DE 1275A):
English – DE 1275A | Chinese DE 1275A/C | Spanish DE 1275A/S | Vietnamese DE 1275A/V