Certifying for Unemployment Insurance (UI) Benefits
After you have filed a UI claim, you must certify for benefits and meet eligibility requirements to receive benefit payments. This information can help guide you through the certification process and avoid common mistakes that may delay payment.
Getting Started: How to Certify for Benefits
- Certifying for Benefits Process
An overview of certifying for benefits.
- Ways to Certify for UI Benefits
You can certify for benefits online, by phone, or by mail.
- Understanding the Continued Claim Certification Questions
How to answer eligibility questions before certifying for benefits.
- Understanding Messages Displayed on a Duplicate (Reissued) Continued Claim Form
If a certification is incomplete, missing information, or completed incorrectly, the EDD will mail you a duplicate (reissued) Continued Claim Form (DE 4581) with a message. This page explains what the messages mean, what you can do, and how to prevent these delays.
Related Forms and Publications
- A Guide to Benefits and Employment Services (DE 1275A)
English – DE 1275A | Chinese – DE 1275A/C | Spanish – DE 1275A/S | Vietnamese – DE 1275A/V
This guide provides claimants detailed information and eligibility requirements for unemployment insurance. This is commonly referred to as the UI Handbook.
- Unemployment Insurance Benefits: What You Need to Know (DE 1275B):
English – DE 1275B | Spanish – DE 1275B/S
This booklet was mailed to you after your UI claim was filed and will help you understand the claim process, when benefits are payable, and your responsibilities when certifying for benefits.
- Step-By-Step Guide: How to Certify for Ongoing Unemployment Benefits (DE 1275C):
English – DE 1275C | Spanish – DE 1275C/S
Use this guide to help you answer the certification question and avoid some of the more common mistakes that cause a delay in UI benefits.
- Sample Continued Claim Form (DE 4581):
English – DE 4581FO | Spanish – DE 4581FO/S | Chinese – DE 4581FO/CF
A sample of the Continued Claim Form that UI claimants use to certify for UI Benefits.
- How to Report Work or Earnings
Find information and examples on how to report work or earnings on the Continued Claim Form (DE 4581)
- How to Report School or Training
Find information and examples on how to report school or training on the Continued Claim Form (DE 4581)
- Video: Certifying Options and How To Fill Out a Continued Claim Form
Find out about the three ways you can submit your Continued Claim Form – online, phone, and by mail.
- Where is Your UI Benefit Payment?
Find out how to access your benefit payment information by phone.
- Common Mistakes Made by UI Claimants
Avoid common mistakes and misconceptions about the UI program.
- How to Avoid Committing Fraud When Collecting UI Benefits
Understand your legal responsibilities and follow requirements set by state law to avoid penalties.
- Collecting Benefits
Frequently asked questions on collecting benefits.
- Improper UI Payments
Information individuals should know about their UI Claim, such as requirements, state laws, common mistakes, and employment services.
This Google Translate™ translation service is provided for informational purposes only as the EDD is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation. View Disclaimer
- Apply for UI or Reopen a UI Claim
- Ways to Certify for UI Benefits
- Access UI Payment Information
- Forms and Publications
- More Help for the Unemployed
Top Links This Month
- EDD Web-CertSM
- Federal UI Extensions
- Ways to File
- UI Telephone Numbers
- Apply for UI Benefits Information
- Benefit Determination Guide