EDD Web-CertSM & Tele-CertSM Update
The temporary limitation in using the EDD Web-CertSM and EDD Tele-CertSM has been resolved. Most UI claimants can now certify for benefits using EDD Web-CertSM and EDD Tele-CertSM. This will help speed up the processing of your certification for continued benefits. Thank you for your patience during this time.
The Employment Development Department (EDD) encourages claimants to use EDD Web-CertSM because it is the fastest way to certify for UI benefits. EDD Web-CertSM gives most claimants the additional option to certify online instead of sending in the paper Continued Claim form.
EDD Web-CertSM is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Certifying online using EDD Web-CertSM eliminates mailing time, postage costs, and common errors made on paper Continued Claim forms that cause a delay in benefit payments.
The questions asked on EDD Web-CertSM are the same questions on the paper Continued Claim form. The paper claim form will continue to be issued to you, regardless of which certification method you use during a certification period. If you certify for benefits online using EDD Web-CertSM, you must maintain and keep a separate record of your work search for each week. You do not need to mail your work search each week to the EDD. You must maintain a record at home that is immediately available if the EDD asks for your work search information.
To certify using EDD Web-CertSM, you will be asked to register a user name and password. An e-mail address can be used as a user name. The EDD will never share your user name or e-mail address with any other agency or business, and no e-mails will be sent to you regarding your certification.
While most claimants will be able to use the online option, claimants participating in the following UI programs will not be able to certify online at this time:
- Federal-State Extended Duration (FED-ED) extension
- California Training Benefits (CTB)
- Apprenticeship Training
- Trade Readjustment Allowance (TRA)
- Work Sharing Program (WS)
- Partials Program, DE 2063
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
- State Special School Benefits (SSSB)
In addition, if the conditions below apply to you, you cannot use the EDD Web-CertSM option to submit your Continued Claim form. You must instead mail a paper Continued Claim form for any weeks the following conditions exist:
- There is an address or phone number change
- You have performed work and/or earned wages during any week of the certifying period
The EDD is currently working on system upgrades to expand EDD Web-CertSM options for claimants in the near future.
Reminder: Continued Claim forms must be submitted within 14 days of the week ending date or the last payment date, whichever is later. Also, do not submit your Continued Claim form before the latest week ending date shown. Submitting the continued claim certification early or late (over 14 days) may result in a delay or denial of UI benefits.
For more information, watch the video about the Options for Completing the Continued Claim Form.
EDD Web-CertSM Tips
Information you will need before beginning the EDD Web-CertSM process:
- Your Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award (DE 429) – This was sent to you with your initial package from the EDD
- Your Guide to Benefits and Employment Services (DE 1275) handbook – This was also sent to you with your initial package from the EDD
- Your Continued Claim Form (DE 4581) for the week(s) you wish to claim benefits
You will be asked to register some personal and claim information. It is important that you remember your user name, your password, the security questions you chose, and the answers you provided. You can print the registration page and save it for your records.
- The phone number you register needs to be the one on your Unemployment Insurance Claim Record. You are not required to enter the area code.
- If you did not provide a phone number on your initial UI application, enter all zeros in the spaces provided.
- The Weekly Benefit Amount is the amount listed on line 4 of the Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award, DE 429. Please enter your Weekly Benefit Amount as shown on your award letter. This is the amount you would receive if you were paid unemployment benefits for only one week, before deductions. Enter only the dollar portion.
Choose your own user name that is a minimum of 8 characters in length. It can be any combination of letters, numbers, or special symbols. You may use an e-mail address as your user name.
- The password you choose must be at least 8 characters in length and contain at least
- one uppercase letter and
- one lowercase letter and
- one number and
- one special character from this list only: ! @ # . $ ^ ( ) - _ |
- Make sure you choose a user name and password that you can easily remember.
- At registration, you will be asked to choose three security questions and supply the appropriate response. Each response you provide must be unique and at least 3 characters long. For example, you cannot answer each question with the word, “No.”
- If you forget your password, cannot login, and are unable to recover your password with the security questions, you will need to submit a request to Ask EDD to reset your account. A response will be sent to you once your account has been reset. From the dropdown menu of the Ask EDD page, choose:
- The category “Unemployment Insurance Benefits”
- The sub-category “EDD Web-CertSM”
- The topic “EDD Web-CertSM Forgot Password or Username”
- You will only be able to certify for the weeks indicated as “Ready to File” on the Claim History page. It would be helpful to have your paper Continued Claim form with you for your reference.
- Do not use the Back button on your computer’s Internet browser. Navigate only by using the buttons on the EDD Web-CertSM page. Otherwise, the application will close and you will not be allowed to certify on-line for that certification period.
- If you make a mistake, do not click “Refresh.” You will be given an opportunity to correct your mistake before submitting your responses. Once you click “Submit My Answers” or “Submit My Weekly Claim” you will not be able to change the answers up to that point.
- Answer the questions only as they apply for the weeks indicated.
- All answers require a response. Your claim will not be accepted until all questions have been answered.
- Your claim has not been submitted until you are sent to the confirmation page that says, “You have successfully submitted your claim…”
- Print a copy of the confirmation page and save it for your records.
- To avoid delays in processing your certification, please do not mail in your paper Continued Claim form if you file using EDD Web-CertSM.
To ensure the security of your personal information, be sure to log out and close the browser when you are finished using your EDD Web-CertSM account.
- Apply for UI or Reopen a UI Claim
- Certify for UI Benefits
- Access UI Payment Information
- Forms and Publications
- More Help for the Unemployed
Top Links This Month
- EDD Web-CertSM
- Ways to File
- UI Telephone Numbers
- Where is My Payment
- Managing Your UI Benefits
- Benefit Determination Guide