FAQs - Appeals for Employers
- How do I file an appeal?
- I received a Notice of Determination, DE 1080EZ and my former employee is eligible for benefits. What do I do now?
How do I file an appeal?
An employer who disagrees with a Notice of Determination (or Ruling), DE 1080CT, or Notice of Modification, DE 1080M and wants to file an appeal must send a letter to EDD at the address shown on the notice. The letter must contain:
- The company’s name, address, telephone number, and reserve account number
- The former employee’s name, and social security account number
- The reason for the appeal
Appeals filed by an employer’s agent must contain the above information in addition to the agent’s:
- Address, and telephone number
We will review the decision. If the decision is correct (according to state law and regulation), we send the appellant a notice that the appeal has been sent to the Office of Appeals. The Office of Appeals:
- Schedules the hearing
- Sends information about the hearing
- Advises the employer and claimant where and when to appear for the hearing
The hearing notice contains important information about the appeals process. An Administrative Law Judge hears the appeal and testimony is taken under oath. After the hearing, the Administrative Law Judge mails a decision to all parties. Contact the Office of Appeals at the telephone number listed on the hearing notice if you have any questions.
You may also access the Employment Development Department Appeal Form, DE 1000M on this Web site if you wish to file an appeal. The appeal form is also included with each disqualification notice that we mail. Mail your completed appeal form to the address on the disqualification notice.
Review the Appeals section on this Web site for more information.
I received a Notice of Determination, DE 1080EZ and my former employee is eligible for benefits. What do I do now?
You have the right to file an appeal if you do not agree with all or part of our decision. Review the Appeals section on this Web site for more information.
- Apply for UI or Reopen a UI Claim
- Certify for UI Benefits
- Access UI Payment Information
- Forms and Publications
- More Help for the Unemployed
Top Links This Month
- EDD Web-CertSM
- Federal UI Extensions
- Ways to File
- UI Telephone Numbers
- Where is My Payment
- Managing Your UI Benefits Information