How to Pay Benefit Overpayments
Did you know you can use your credit card or debit card to pay your benefit overpayment? It’s easy and convenient if you have one of the following cards:
- Visa New!
- American Express
You may make your payment by phone or online. The Official Payments Corporation charges a service fee based on the amount of your payment. The service fee rate may change at any time. The Official Payments Corporation website provides fee information prior to making a payment.
Have your payment information on hand when you are ready to make your payment:
- Payment amount.
- Social Security number of the individual assessed with the overpayment.
- Phone number.
- E-mail address (online payment option only).
- Credit card or debit card number.
- Credit card billing address (online payment option only).
- 3-digit security code and expiration date for the card.
Make Payments by Phone
Make payments by phone by doing the following:
- Call toll-free 1-888-2PAYTAX (1-888-272-9829).
- Choose option 3 and enter the jurisdiction code 1577.
- Follow the recorded instructions (a touch-tone phone is required for this transaction).
Make Payments Online
Pay online at the Official Payments website:
- Select “State Payments.”
- Enter jurisdiction code 1577.
- Select “California Employment Development Dept.”
- Select “Benefit Overpayment.”
The Official Payments Corporation is not under the control of the EDD, and the EDD is not responsible for the contents of their website or any links contained in their website. The EDD recommends that you review the security and confidentiality statements of the Official Payments Corporation.
Make Payments by Mail
Pay by personal check, cashier check, or money order:
- Have your payments made out to EDD.
- Write or print the Social Security number of the individual assessed with the overpayment on all payments.
- Mail payments to:
Employment Development Department
Attention: Cashier Benefit Recovery
P.O. Box 826806
Sacramento, CA 94206-0001
Set Up a Payment Arrangement
To set up a payment arrangement that will meet the Department’s minimum monthly amount, call the EDD Benefit Overpayment Collection Section at 800-676-5737.
This Google Translate™ translation service is provided for informational purposes only as the EDD is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation. View Disclaimer
- Apply for UI or Reopen a UI Claim
- Ways to Certify for UI Benefits
- Access UI Payment Information
- Forms and Publications
- More Help for the Unemployed
Top Links This Month
- EDD Web-CertSM
- Federal UI Extensions
- Ways to File
- UI Telephone Numbers
- Apply for UI Benefits Information
- Benefit Determination Guide