Using the UI Self-Service Phone Line
The EDD has two phone information systems available to obtain Unemployment Insurance (UI) information:
UI Self-Service Phone Line: 1-866-333-4606
Note: The UI Self-Service Phone Line does not transfer callers to a representative.
Make the following selections from the recorded messages:
From both the UI Self-Service Phone Line and the Main Phone Numbers:
After a greeting in English and Spanish, you will be asked to:
- Press 1 to hear the recording in English
- Press 2 to hear the recording in Spanish
After you make a main menu selection, please listen. You may need to make further choices.
The main menu options are:
- Press 1 for information regarding your unemployment insurance payment.
Unemployment insurance payment information includes the date your last benefit payment was issued, the amount paid, and period of time covering the payment.
The best time to call on weekdays is between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. or after 5 p.m. You can call at any time on weekends.
To access confidential information, you will be asked to enter your Social Security number and a personal identification number (PIN) on your phone keypad. You will set your PIN the first time you use one of the two automated phone systems to access confidential information. For more information about your PIN, see: FAQ - Personal Identification Number.
- Press 2 to certify for weekly or bi-weekly continued claims by phone using EDD Tele-CertSM.
This feature will enable most customers to submit their bi-weekly continued claim certification by using the phone, instead of filling out and mailing a paper form. This will expedite payments and reduce payment delays caused by errors in completing claim forms.
To certify for benefits using EDD Tele-CertSM, you will be asked to enter your Social Security number and a personal identification number (PIN) on your phone keypad. You will set your PIN the first time you use the UI Self-Service Phone Line to access confidential information. To learn more, visit EDD Tele-CertSM.
- Press 3 for information on filing or reopening an Unemployment Insurance claim or for general information about specific types of Unemployment Insurance claims.
This is general information about different types of Unemployment Insurance claims, such as Military, Interstate, and Federal claims. You can also hear information about filing Partial Claims and Extensions.
If calling to file or reopen a claim, please be prepared to provide the name, address, ZIP Code, and phone number of your last employer. Listen carefully to all of the options, choosing the wrong option may cause delays if you are incorrectly transferred. Only the Main Phone Numbers will transfer callers to a representative who can file your claim.
- Press 4 if you are calling for information about Form 1099G, which reports taxable Unemployment Compensation.
Callers can request a duplicate Form 1099G, hear the amount reported for the previous year, or question the amount reported. To access confidential information using the UI Self-Service Phone Line, you will be asked to enter your Social Security number and birth date on your phone keypad.
The UI Self-Service Phone Line does not transfer callers to a representative.
- Press 5 if you are an employer.
Callers can use this option to hear information about claim processing, hiring assistance, Unemployment Insurance fraud, California payroll tax information, and employer forms.
Workforce Services specializes in linking job seekers with job vacancies. See CalJOBSSM for more information.
- Press 6 for information on updating your UI claim, or for general UI information, EDD services and other information.
Select this option for:
- general UI information;
- fraud reporting information;
- claimant forms information;
- overpayment information;
- eligibility information;
- Workforce Services locations;
- employment and training, Disability Insurance, Paid Family Leave and Labor Commissioner information;
- and for updating information on your UI claim or to speak to a representative.