How to File a Disability Insurance Claim
File a Disability Insurance (DI) Claim Online
The Employment Development Department (EDD) automated some key State Disability Insurance (SDI) services to better serve our customers. SDI Online provides customers with electronic and automated options that are simple to use and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
SDI Online is convenient and secure. The new system reduces claim processing time, provides immediate electronic confirmation of forms submitted, decreases costs in paper and postage, and includes security safeguards to detect and manage fraud and abuse.
For more information, visit the SDI Online page.
File a Disability Insurance (DI) Claim by Mail
To file a DI claim by mail, you must complete and submit a Claim for Disability Insurance Benefits form, DE 2501. To order a claim form online, visit Online Forms and Publications or call 1-800-480-3287 or 1-866-658-8846 (En español).
To avoid delays in claims processing, please complete the form as follows:
- Use black ink only.
- Type or write clearly within the boxes provided.
- Fill out only the claimant’s portion of the form (Part A).
- Do not fax the form.
- Mail the completed form to the EDD in the pre-addressed envelope provided.
- Do not mail this form to the EDD if you have already submitted your claim online.
For additional information on how to complete and file a DI claim form, visit Important DI Program Information.
You may need to download the free Adobe Reader to view and print linked documents.
- SDI Online
- SDI Automated Phone Information System
- SDI Office Locations
- SDI Forms and Publications
- SDI Self-Service Options