FAQs – Voluntary Plan Employees

Show All | Hide All

California law allows your employer to offer you a voluntary disability plan in place of SDI coverage. Your VP must provide all the benefits of SDI, at least one benefit that is better than SDI, and it cannot cost you more than SDI does.

Contact your employer’s personnel or benefits office for more information or to file a VP claim.

Your claim for SDI benefits was referred to a VP because there is a question of who your SDI provider is. The VP carrier has 25 days to respond to our referral. We will contact you after we receive their response, but we cannot pay you benefits during the 25-day period.

No. You are covered under the VP, and are not eligible for SDI.

If your employer’s VP advises you that you are not covered by them, they will refer your claim for benefits to SDI. Check with your employer to make sure your claim was referred.

If your VP denies benefits and you disagree with the denial, you have the right to appeal the decision and have a hearing before an impartial Administrative Law Judge. To file an appeal, send SDI a detailed letter stating why you think the VP denial is incorrect. Be sure to print and sign your name on the appeal letter, and include your Social Security number, address, and telephone number. SDI will file the necessary appeal documents with the California Unemployment Insurance Office of Appeals but will not pay benefits during the appeal period, or attend the appeal hearing. It is important for you to attend your appeal hearing.

To file a disputed coverage appeal, complete an Appeal for Determination of Coverage (DE 1000DC). The DE 1000DC form may be obtained from any SDI office. For a current list SDI offices, visit the Office Locator, or call the EDD. Include a brief factual statement of why the EDD should accept coverage, attach a copy of the SDI denial letter, and send the appeal to the appropriate Office of Appeals and a copy to the EDD office. For information on the appropriate Office of Appeals for your area, call at 1-916-657-5113.

Contact your employer, or their agent, to find out the reason for the delay. If you feel the reason is unsatisfactory, you can file an appeal for presumed denial of benefits. Call 1-916-657-5113 for help with your appeal.

SDI provides this information to you and your employer to assist in determining your wages and benefit amount. The benefit amount listed on the Notice of Computation (DE 429D) shows the minimum amount your employer’s plan must pay you.

Note: It may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail.

Yes. If you are working for two different employers at the time of your disability, with one employer providing SDI coverage and the other by a VP, you can receive simultaneous coverage. Both companies are equally responsible for paying a portion of your disability benefit. However, you will not receive twice the normal benefit amount.

Yes. Contact your employer’s VP representative or benefits department for information on transferring coverage to SDI.