Part-time, Intermittent, or Reduced Work Schedule FAQs

Visit Part-time, Intermittent, and Reduced Work Schedule for general information.
You may be eligible to receive benefits as long as you:

If you are losing wages, we suggest that you file a claim. After receiving your properly completed claim, we will determine if you are eligible for benefits.

Intermittent leave is when you partially return to work during your claim period at irregular intervals (e.g., days, weeks, or months apart).

Yes. Vacation benefits are not in conflict with Disability Insurance.

Your employer may require you to use up to two weeks of vacation before receiving Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits. If your employer requires that vacation be used, it is in conflict with PFL benefits.

Yes, but depending on the type of paid leave and how much you receive, your Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave benefits may be reduced or denied. You should always report all the wages you receive from your employer on your claim form.

The EDD has no control over issues involving wages, hours of work, or conditions of employment.

You may want to contact the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, who has responsibility over employment and leave issues, including employment termination during a disability or family leave.

No. Termination will not interfere with your benefits as long as you continue to meet the other eligibility requirements.

The EDD has no control over issues involving the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). This program is run by the United States Department of Labor (DOL) and provides a temporary extension of health benefits at group rates for certain former employees. For more information, you may contact the DOL at 1-866-275-7922. For TTY, use 1-877-889-5627. You may also wish to read or download the pamphlet about the COBRA program. You may need to download the free Adobe Reader to view and print linked documents.

Yes. You may receive benefits intermittently while working part-time as long as you continue to meet the other eligibility requirements.

If using SDI Online:

  1. Complete the questions in Section 4 - Paid Family Leave Claim Information.
  2. Answer No to “Do you want to claim the maximum amount of benefit weeks now?”
  3. Provide the date you want to be paid through.
  4. On Section 5 – Employer Information, complete all questions about working, wages, and payment dates.

Note: It may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail even if you chose electronic communication.
If using the paper Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Benefits - New Mother (DE 2501FP) (PDF) form:

  1. Check “No” to question 4.
  2. Enter the date you want to stop your bonding claim.
  3. Attach a detailed note to your claim form explaining which days will be worked and the number of hours to be worked each day.

For more information on the form listed, visit Paid Family Leave (PFL) Forms and Publications.

If you have a Voluntary Plan, refer to Report of Voluntary Plan Family Leave (VPFL) Claim (DE 2523F) (PDF).

If you decide to work intermittently after submitting a claim requesting eight continuous weeks of benefits, you will need to contact the EDD. You can:

  • Call 1-877-238-4373 (English) or 1-877-379-3819 (Spanish).
  • Submit a letter to:

Paid Family Leave Customer Service Center
PO Box 45011
Fresno, CA 93718-5011

You can also visit AskEDD and follow these steps:

  • For category, select Paid Family Leave.
  • For sub-category, select Miscellaneous Inquiry.
  • For topic, select Other (Questions).
  • Select Continue, complete the electronic form, and select Submit.