Paid Family Leave – Military Assist
Have a U.S. Military Service Member in Your Family?
Paid Family Leave (PFL) provides benefits to eligible California workers who need time off work to participate in a qualifying event because of a family member’s military deployment to a foreign country.
Are You Eligible?
To be eligible for PFL benefits, you must:
- Need time off of work to participate in a qualifying event because of a family member’s military deployment to a foreign country. A family member is a spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, or child.
- Have worked in California and paid into State Disability Insurance (noted as “CASDI” on paystubs) in the past 5 to 18 months.
- Not have taken the maximum 8 weeks of PFL in the past 12 months.
Visit Eligibility Requirements to learn more about qualifying for PFL.
Citizenship and immigration status do not affect eligibility.
Note: U.S. military members are not eligible to receive PFL benefits because they do not pay into SDI. Benefits are only available to their eligible family members to participate in qualifying events.
Did You Know?
Deployment is defined as covered active duty, a call or notice of impending covered active duty, or a rest and recuperation leave from covered active duty.
A qualifying event is any military event or an essential need resulting from the family member’s deployment. For PFL, the military event does not have to occur in California.
Qualifying events may include:
- Providing or arranging for childcare or parental care during the deployment.
- Assisting in making legal or financial arrangements during the deployment.
- Attending counseling.
- Assisting the military member during their rest and recuperation leave.
- Attending military sponsored events or ceremonies.
- Representing the military member at federal, state, or local events.
- Addressing issues due to the military member’s death.
Your claim must include supporting documentation for the qualifying event. For more information, visit PFL Claim Process. Also, you should speak to your employer about eligible qualifying events.
Calculate Your Benefit Amount
Try the new tool to estimate your benefit amount!
File a Claim
If you think you’re eligible for PFL, the next step is to file a claim.