Required Notices and Pamphlets

Posting Requirements

Once an employer registers with the Employment Development Department (EDD), they receive a notice to post, which informs their employees of their rights under the Unemployment Insurance (UI), Disability Insurance (DI), and Paid Family Leave (PFL) programs. This notice must be posted in a prominent location that is easily seen by the employees. Employers receive the following notice if they are subject to:

Notices and Pamphlets

Employers must provide a copy of the following notice and pamphlets to each employee when appropriate:

  • Effective January 1, 2008, all employers are required to notify all of their employees of the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). For more information, view the federal and state EITC information on the Year-End Notification Requirements page.

  • Notice to Employee as to Change in Relationship - Written notice must be given immediately to employees of their discharge, layoff, leave of absence, or change in employment status. This sample meets the minimum requirements.

    You may wish to prepare a duplicate employee notice and keep a copy for your records. Notices prepared by the employer must include the information on the sample Notice to Employee as to Change in Relationship referenced above.

  • The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act requires certain employers to give affected employees at least 60 days written advance notice of any plant closing or mass layoff.

Summary: Post the DE 1857 and provide a DE 2320, DE 2511, and DE 2515 to each employee. Provide information about the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) to each employee within one week before or after providing them their W-2 or 1099. Provide the Notice to Employee as to change in Relationship and/or Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) notice, as applicable.

No written notice is required if it is a voluntary quit, promotion or demotion, change in work assignment or location (some changes in location require a WARN notice), or if work stopped due to a trade dispute.

For a more comprehensive list of Federal and State posting requirements, please visit the Posting Requirements For California Employers page on the California Tax Service Center Web site.