About the State Disability Insurance Program
California State Disability Insurance (SDI) is a partial wage-replacement insurance plan for eligible California workers. The SDI program is state-mandated and funded through employee payroll deductions. Workers covered by SDI have two benefits available to them: Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL). More than 18 million California workers are covered by the SDI program.
To request general program information or data about SDI, complete the State Disability Insurance Request for Information Form (DE 2541E) and return it to the EDD using the appropriate email address listed on the form.
Note: Inquiries about individual claims using this form will not be answered.
DI was established in 1946 to provide short-term benefits to eligible California workers who have a loss of wages when they are unable to work due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy.
Paid Family Leave
PFL provides benefits to individuals who need to take time off work to:
- Care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner.
- Bond with a new child entering the family through birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
- Participate in a qualifying event because of the military deployment of their spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, or child to a foreign country.
SDI Online provides customers with convenient and secure online claim filing and management options that are simple to use and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
SDI Online reduces claim processing time, provides immediate confirmation of forms submitted, decreases costs in paper and postage, and includes security safeguards to detect and manage fraud and abuse.
To file a DI or PFL claim in SDI Online, you must first complete a one-time registration to establish a Benefit Programs Online (BPO) account. Visit Benefit Programs Online and select Register to start creating an account now.
After you have registered for and logged in to BPO, select SDI Online which will direct you to the SDI Online Registration Options. Once your registration is complete, log in to BPO and select SDI Online to be directed to your h ome page to file your claim.
SDI for State Employees
State employees are divided into 21 bargaining units. SDI covers employees in bargaining units 1, 3, 4, 11, 14, 15, 17, 20, and 21.
SDI pays part of an employee’s wages if they need to take time off work due to the following:
- A non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy.
- To bond with a new child entering the family through birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
- To care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner.
- To participate in a qualifying event because of the military deployment of their spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, or child to a foreign country.
Nonindustrial Disability Insurance (NDI) covers excluded employees and rank-and-file employees in bargaining units 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, and 19.
For more information, visit Nonindustrial Disability Insurance.