SDI Online FAQs
Benefit Programs Online is a secure portal for EDD customers to access SDI Online, UI OnlineSM, and Benefit Overpayment Services using a single login.
SDI Online is the fast, convenient, and secure way for claimants, physicians/practitioners, employers, and voluntary plan administrators to file Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave claims and forms online.
SDI Online follows the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations and guidelines. It also provides:
- Improved access to services.
- Reduced claim processing time.
- Access to DI claim status and payment history online.
- Secure transmission of personal information.
- Improved detection and management of fraud and abuse.
- Immediate confirmation of claim filed.
- Reduced paperwork.
- Sustainable business practice.
Visit SDI Online for the hours of operation and additional information.
All SDI Online users must complete a one-time registration in Benefit Programs Online (BPO). After you have registered for and logged in to BPO, select SDI Online to continue your registration process. You will use your new BPO account to access SDI Online.
To file a Disability Insurance claim, visit How to File a Disability Insurance Claim in SDI Online.
To file a Paid Family Leave claim, visit How to File a Paid Family Leave Claim in SDI Online.
For more information, visit SDI Online Informational Tutorials and Videos.
Your EDD customer account number is a unique identification number that is assigned when you complete your SDI Online registration. It will initially appear in a message on the Successful Account Creation Notification section of the Account Setup Confirmation page. This number will act as an identification for you.
Once you submit your portion of the Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave claim, you will receive a receipt number to provide to the physician/practitioner that will match the medical certification to your claim in SDI Online. If you do not have your receipt number, the physician/practitioner can use the following information to match to your claim:
- Last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Your last name.
- Your date of birth.
Yes. The option to file a paper form is available. The paper Claim for Disability Insurance (DI) Benefits (DE 2501) or Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Benefits (DE 2501F) form can be ordered through Online Forms and Publications. Forms can also be requested by calling the DI Automated Phone Information System or the PFL Automated Phone Information System.
All forms are available at no cost.
Orders of 25 forms or fewer can take one week for delivery and orders of 25 forms or more can take two to four weeks for delivery. You can also obtain a claim form from a physician/practitioner or employer, or by visiting an SDI office.
Note: These claim forms use special ink which allows data to be scanned, captured, and uploaded into SDI Online for processing. They cannot be copied or reproduced; only the original versions of the current claim forms are accepted. If you submit a copy of the claim form, the EDD will return the form and include a current original version with a letter telling you to complete and return the correct version of the form or to file a claim using SDI Online.
Yes. SDI Online uses Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliant communications through direct online interface and web-based forms. Your data is encrypted in transit and stored to ensure confidentiality.
If you are having trouble accessing SDI Online, follow these steps:
- Close all web browsers on your computer.
- Clear out all cookies and web browser cache data for each web browser on your computer. Depending on what version and browser you are using, the instructions can be different. Visit these links for instructions provided by different browser vendors:
- Make sure that the time on your computer is set for the correct time zone, day of the week, and hour and minute. For instructions on how to synchronize your computer online, visit NIST Internet Time Service.
- Restart your computer.
- Try to log back in to SDI Online.
For more information, visit Technical Help.
Yes. Visit SDI Online for self-help tools that are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
SDI Online Tutorials and Videos are available to guide you through registration, filing a claim, form submission, and username/password recovery.
Tip sheets are also available to help you create an SDI Online account and file a claim:
- SDI Online Tips for Claimants
- SDI Online Tips for Physicians/Practitioners
- SDI Online Tips for Employers
You may also request assistance by calling the EDD:
- For Disability Insurance, call 1-800-480-3287 and select your language option and then option two for the SDI Online Services Help Desk. California State Government employees only: 1-866-352-7675. TTY users: Dial the California Relay Service at 711.
- For Paid Family Leave, call 1-877-238-4373 and select your language option and then option 2 for the SDI Online Services Help Desk. California State Government Employees only: 1-877-945-4747. TTY users: Dial the California Relay Service at 711.
The receipt number means you have successfully submitted your Disability Insurance (DI) or Paid Family Leave (PFL) claim form online. Provide your receipt number to your physician/practitioner for DI claims or the care recipient’s treating physician/practitioner for PFL care claims for them to submit the medical certification. You should make a note of your receipt number for future reference.
PFL bonding claims do not require a medical certification so you do not need to provide the receipt number to your physician/practitioner.
Most claims are processed within 14 days of receipt of a properly completed claim. You can log in to your account to check the status of your DI claim at any time. For the status of your PFL claim, call 1-877-238-4373.
If the physician/practitioner is not using SDI Online, you must provide them with your receipt number. The physician/practitioner can then submit a paper certification form with your receipt number to the EDD. The paper form is designed to match your SDI Online claim.
Most benefits are issued within two weeks after a properly completed claim is received.
There is a seven-day, non-payable waiting period for Disability Insurance (DI) benefits. Benefits start on the eighth day.
The Governor’s Executive Order N-25-20, signed March 12, 2020, waives the one-week unpaid waiting period for COVID-related DI claims with a start date of January 24, 2020, through September 30, 2021. You can collect DI benefits for the first week you are out of work.
Note: The Governor’s Executive Order N-08-21, signed June 11, 2021, returns the requirement to serve the one-week unpaid waiting period for COVID-related DI claims with a start date on or after October 1, 2021. You can collect DI benefits starting on the eighth day you are out of work.
If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments within a few weeks of receiving a claim.
Paid Family Leave does not have a waiting period.
Yes. If your claim is not in an automatic payment cycle, you will need to complete a Claim for Continued Disability Benefits (DE 2500A) form approximately every two weeks in order to receive continued claim payments.
The DE 2500A forms are provided only when necessary on individual claims and will be sent to you by the EDD. The DE 2500A form is not available to print online. If you have an account, you may submit your DE 2500A form online by logging in to Benefit Programs Online and accessing SDI Online. From your home page, select Inbox which will direct you to the Message Center to complete and submit the DE 2500A.
Any messages from the EDD regarding your claim will be sent to your SDI Online account or via paper mail, whichever method you chose during registration. If email was chosen, some information may still be sent through the U.S. Postal Service if a form is not available online.
Log in to Benefit Programs Online and then select SDI Online to access your account. On your home page, select the Inbox link which will direct you to the Message Center section to view messages about your claim or links to forms that need to be submitted.
Not all forms are available online; it may be necessary to send some documents via U.S. mail.
To reset or update your information:
- Log in to Benefit Programs Online.
- Select My Profile at the top of the page.
- Select the link for the section you wish to update and follow the instructions given to update your profile information.
A message confirming the change will be displayed at the top of the My Profile page, and a notification will be sent to your email confirming the change.
For more information, visit FAQs – Benefit Programs Online.
The fastest and easiest way to update your address or phone number is through SDI Online.
Log in to Benefit Programs Online:
- Select SDI Online.
- Select the Profile link on your home page menu.
- From the My Profile Page menu, hover over Change and select the contact information you wish to update: mailing address, residence address, communication method, language, or phone number.
- Complete the new information and select Save.
Any updates you make through SDI Online take effect immediately. You can update your contact information using SDI Online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you received an E311, E313, or E318 error message, please check your California Driver License (CDL) or Identification (ID) card to make sure you are using your full legal name, correct date of birth, and correct CDL or ID number as it appears on these cards; and complete all required fields marked with a red asterisk.
If you continue to receive an E311, E313, or E318 error message, you may request assistance through Ask EDD:
- Select the category: Disability Insurance Benefits or Paid Family Leave.
- Select the sub-category: SDI Online.
- Select the topic: I Received an Error Message, and select Continue.
- Complete the information requested.
- In the “Additional Information” section, indicate that you received the error message E311, E313, or E318 while registering an SDI Online account, then select Submit.
You may also request assistance by calling the EDD:
For Disability Insurance, call 1-800-480-3287 and select your language option and then option 2 for the SDI Online Services Help Desk.
For Paid Family Leave, call 1-877-238-4373 and select your language option and then option 2 for the SDI Online Services Help Desk.
Another option is to contact the EDD to have the Claim for Disability Insurance (DI) Benefits (DE 2501) or Claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL) Benefits (DE 2501F) form mailed to you by visiting Online Forms and Publications. You may also order paper forms by calling DI at 1-800-480-3287 and selecting option 1 for English and option 6 for claim form requests or PFL at 1-877-238-4373 and selecting option 1 for English and option 6 for claim form requests.