Disability Insurance Elective Coverage – A Safety Net for the Business Owner or Self-Employed!
As someone whose livelihood depends on your ability to run a business, you should consider what would happen if your income stopped because:
- You were sick, injured, or had a disabling condition due to pregnancy or childbirth and could not work.
- Your parent, child, spouse, or registered domestic partner needed your care due to a serious health condition.
- You would like to bond with your new child (biological, foster or adopted child.)
Many people could not do without their income even temporarily.
California’s Disability Insurance Elective Coverage (DIEC) program serves as a safety net to small business owners, entrepreneurs, or self-employed individuals. Individuals that are covered by the DIEC are covered by the Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave programs.
The Disability Insurance program provides benefits to eligible DIEC participants suffering a loss of income when they are unable to perform their usual work due to their own non-industrial or industrial related illness or injury, or a disabling condition due to pregnancy or childbirth.
The Paid Family Leave program provides benefits to eligible DIEC participants when they need to take time off from work to care for a seriously ill parent, child, spouse, registered domestic partner or to bond with a new child.
Are you prepared for a rainy day? Consider California’s Disability Insurance Elective Coverage program created specifically for self-employed individuals and business owners working in California.
- SDI Online
- Disability Insurance Automated Phone Information System
- Paid Family Leave Automated Phone Information System
- Disability Insurance Office Locations
- Paid Family Leave Office Locations