Eligibility for Disability Insurance Elective Coverage (DIEC)
Any self-employed individual or general partner who meets the requirements, may apply for DIEC. It is not required that all active general partners be included in the application.
A general partnership also includes a husband and wife as co-owners with both spouses active in the operation and management of the business. Limited partners and corporate officers are not eligible since they are considered to be employees subject to the mandatory provisions of the California Unemployment Insurance Code.
- Own your own business or be self-employed.
- Have a minimum net profit of $4,600 annually.
- Possess a valid active license, if required by your occupation.
- Be able to perform all of your normal duties on a full-time basis at the time your application is submitted.
- Derive the major portion of your income from your trade, business, or occupation.
- Business cannot be seasonal.
- Stay in the program for two complete calendar years unless you discontinue your business or move out of California.
- You are an employee and not self-employed.
- Your self-employment is seasonal.
- The major portion of your work-related income does not come from self-employment activities.
- Your net profit from self-employment is less than $4,600 annually.
- You are unable to perform your usual work at the time the DIEC application is submitted for approval.
- Elective Coverage for Employers and Self-Employed Individuals (DE 231EC)
- California Unemployment Insurance Codes (Section:701-713).
For additional information on requirements please reference the EDD Information Sheet:
For additional informational materials, visit the DIEC forms and publications page.
To speak with a representative in the DIEC unit, call 916-654-6288 or the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886 (TTY users dial the California Relay Service at 711). Representatives are available Monday through Friday; from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Offices are closed weekends and holidays.