Eligibility for Disability Insurance Elective Coverage (DIEC)
Any self-employed individual, business owner, or general partner who meets the requirements, such as receives the major part of his/her income from the trade, business, or occupation in which he/she is self-employed or a general partner may apply for coverage. It is not required that all active general partners be included in the election. A general partnership also includes a husband and wife co-ownership in which both spouses are active in the operation and management of the business. Limited partners and corporate officers are not eligible since they are considered to be employees subject to the mandatory provisions of the California Unemployment Insurance Code.
- You must own your own business or be self-employed.
- You must have a minimum net profit of $4,600 annually.
- You must possess a valid active license, if required by your occupation.
- You must be able to perform all of your normal duties on a full-time basis at the time your application is submitted.
- You must derive the major portion of your income from your trade, business, or occupation.
- Your business cannot be seasonal.
- You must stay in the program for two complete calendar years unless you discontinue your business or move out of California.
- You are an employee and not self-employed.
- Your self-employment is seasonal.
- The major portion of your work-related income does not come from self-employment activities.
- Your net profit from self-employment is less than $4,600 annually.
- You are unable to perform your usual work at the time the DIEC application is submitted for approval.
For additional information on requirements please reference the EDD Information Sheet, Elective Coverage for Employers and Self-Employed Individuals (DE 231EC) and/or the California Unemployment Insurance Codes (Section:701-713) . For additional informational materials, visit the DIEC forms and publications page.
To speak with a representative in the DIEC unit, call 916-654-6288 or the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886. Representatives are available Monday through Friday; from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Offices are closed weekends and holidays.