Eligibility for Disability Insurance Elective Coverage ( DIEC)

Any self-employed individual, business owner, or general partner who meets the requirements, such as receives the major part of his or her income from the trade, business, or occupation in which he or she is self-employed or a general partner may apply for coverage. It is not required that all active general partners be included in the election. A general partnership also includes a husband and wife co-ownership in which both spouses are active in the operation and management of the business. Limited partners and corporate officers are not eligible since they are considered to be employees subject to the mandatory provisions of the California Unemployment Insurance Code.

Major Requirements

  • You must own your own business or be self-employed.
  • You must have a minimum net profit of $4,600 annually.
  • You must possess a valid active license, if required by your occupation.
  • You must be able to perform all of your normal duties on a full-time basis at the time your application is submitted.
  • You must derive the major portion of your income from your trade, business, or occupation.
  • Your business cannot be seasonal.
  • You must stay in the program for two complete calendar years unless you discontinue your business or move out of California.


  • The individual is an employee and not self-employed.
  • The individual’s self-employment is seasonal.
  • The major portion of the individuals’ work-related income does not come from self-employment activities.
  • The individual’s net profit from self-employment is less than $4,600 annually.
  • The individual is unable to perform their usual work at the time the DIEC application is submitted for approval.

For additional information on requirements please reference the EDD Information Sheet, Elective Coverage for Employers and Self-Employed Individuals, DE 231EC and/or the California Unemployment Insurance Codes (uic:701-713). For additional informational materials please visit our DIEC forms and publications page.

To speak with a representative in the DIEC unit, call 1-916-654-6288 or the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886. Representatives are available Monday through Friday; from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Offices are closed weekends and holidays.

This Google Translate™ translation service is provided for informational purposes only as the EDD is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation. View Disclaimer


Self-Service Options

Top Links This Month


Contact Us