Federal/State Employment Taxes (FSET) - Bulk Transmissions
The FSET program provides a standardized method for making tax payments and reporting employment tax and wage information in eXtensible Markup Language (XML) through a Web-Service based application-to-application transmission platform.
This program is open to software developers, transmitters, payroll service providers that act as reporting agents, and employers who want to develop their own software. If you want to use the services of a participating payroll service provider or transmitter, view the list of approved FSET providers.
The FSET program fulfills the requirement for employers to file electronically and/or remit payments by electronic funds transfer to the Employment Development Department (EDD).
FSET allows you to transmit the following:
- Payroll Tax Deposit (DE 88)
- Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (DE 9)
- Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (Continuation) (DE 9C)
- Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34)
- Report of Independent Contractor(s) (DE 542)
- Quarterly Contribution Return (DE 3D)
Payroll service providers may submit Data Exchange and Enrollment files to:
- Retrieve their clients’ tax rates.
- Verify their clients’ EDD employer payroll tax account numbers.
- Check their clients’ EFT mandatory status.
- Notify the EDD when they acquire or no longer represent clients.
If you are developing your own FSET program, below is everything you need to get started:
- Download the schemas and follow the instructions in the Federal/State Employment Taxes Implementation Guide (DE 545).
- Enroll in e-Services for Business to establish your username and password in order to complete certification testing. You only need to register one set of credentials to use the FSET program.
- Complete the Fed/State Employment Taxes (FSET) Enrollment (DE 547).
- After you register, you will be provided with information for your certification testing.
Note: Payroll agents and/or software developers that successfully pass certification testing can complete a Federal/State Employment Taxes Website Link Agreement (DE 548) to be added to the list of approved FSET providers on our Web site.
If you have questions about FSET, visit the FAQs – Federal/State Employment Taxes (FSET) - Bulk Transmissions page or call FSET Customer Service at 1-866-592-1651.