The information needed to successfully complete your registration is based on the type of business you operate. Register your business and submit any supporting documents online with e-Services for Business.
In the registration application process, you will be asked a series of questions. Gather the following information and have it available as you complete your application:
- Name and Social Security number - all responsible parties (Individual Owners, Co-Owners, General Partners).
- Name and Social Security number - all officers, members, partners (Corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LPs).
- Physical business address and mailing address.
- Business phone number.
- Valid email address (contact person and business).
- Date of first payroll when wages exceed $100.
- Nine-digit federal employer identification number (FEIN) - a FEIN can be obtained by going to the IRS website.
- Industry Description - What is the industry, product, or service that represents the greatest portion of your sales or revenue?
- Previous EDD employer payroll tax account information, if applicable.
- Business Name - as recorded with the California Secretary of State (SOS).
- Provide the following information, access California Secretary of State to confirm information, as needed:
- Exact Legal Business Name as spelled and registered with SOS (Corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LPs)
- SOS ID Number
- Corporation: Seven-digit California Corporation ID number
- Limited Liability Company (LLC): 9- or 12-digit California Secretary of State (SOS) ID number
- Doing Business As (DBA), if applicable.
- Name, phone number, address (if different from business or mailing address) for business contact person.
Register for an Employer Payroll Tax Account Number
Use e-Services for Business to apply for your employer payroll tax account number and be prepared to attach any applicable supporting documentation. It’s fast, easy, secure, and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
1. Create a username and password.
- Go to e-Services for Business.
- Select the “Enroll” box.
- Enter the required information and select “Continue.”
- Select the verification link in the email sent to you by the EDD to complete the enrollment process.
Important: If you do not verify your email address within 24 hours, you will need to restart the enrollment process.
2. Log in to e-Services for Business.
- Select “New Customer.”
- Select “Register for Employer Payroll Tax Account Number.”
- Complete the online registration application.
- Select “Submit.”
- Selection of Financing Method by a Nonprofit Organization Described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (DE 1SNP).
- Provide a copy of the 501(c)(3) exemption letter (must include 170(b)(1)(A)(i) section of the Internal Revenue Code).
- Exempt Employment (DE 231EE)
- Limited Liability Entities (DE 231LLC)
- Statutory Employees – Unemployment Insurance (UI), Employment Training Tax (ETT), and State Disability Insurance (SDI) (DE 231SE)
- Non Profit and/or Public Entities (DE 231NP)
- Specialized Coverage (Elective Coverage for Exempt Workers) (DE 231SC)
Additional Information Sheets are available online at Payroll Taxes – Forms and Publications.