System Maintenance: UI OnlineSM and UI Online MobileSM
Due to scheduled system maintenance, UI Online and UI Online Mobile will be unavailable Friday, April 28, 2017 from 5 p.m. through Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. Please check back after 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 29, 2017 to register or log in to UI Online or UI Online Mobile.
During this period, you may access information on your last payment issued, certify for continued benefits using EDD Tele-CertSM and get general information about Unemployment Insurance using the UI Self-Service Phone Line at 1-866-333-4606. Information for your EDD Debit CardSM can be obtained online at the Bank of America EDD Debit CardSM website.
We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience during these times and appreciate your patience as we continue to upgrade our systems.
EDD Tele-Cert SM allows you to certify for your Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits over the phone by calling the UI Self-Service Phone Line, 1-866-333-4606.
It is recommended that you call after 12 noon and before 8 a.m., Monday through Friday, Pacific Time, or anytime on Saturday and Sunday.
The questions asked when using EDD Tele-Cert SM are the same questions on the paper Continued Claim Form (DE 4581). The paper claim form will continue to be issued to you along with your UI benefit payment until all unemployment systems are fully automated, regardless of which certification method you use.
For more information, view the video about the Options for Completing the Continued Claim Form.
Advantages of EDD Tele-CertSM
- Convenient and eliminates mail time and postage costs.
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, you must wait until after the ending date of the benefit claim week(s) to certify (this is the date indicated on the front of the paper claim form sent to you).
- Allows you to verify or edit your answer(s) before submitting the certification.
- Accepts your certification submission as your electronic signature.
- Allows you to certify for multiple weeks with one phone call.
Accessing EDD Tele-CertSM
- Call EDD Tele-CertSM: The toll-free UI Self-Service Phone Line for EDD Tele-CertSM is 1-866-333-4606.
- First Time Users: The first time you use EDD Tele-CertSM, you will be asked to enter your Social Security Number (SSN) and establish a new Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your old PIN will not be transferred to the new system. On subsequent visits, you will use the same PIN you created during registration to access EDD Tele-CertSM.
- Navigating EDD Tele-CertSM: The EDD Tele-CertSM method will provide you with prompts to assist in navigating through the certification process. You will be asked to input your answers using the keypad on your telephone. The EDD Tele-CertSM does not use a voice recognition capability.
- Response Review: Your answers will be repeated back to you to ensure you answered each question correctly. You will be given the opportunity to change any incorrect answers. Your final entries will serve as an electronic signature.
You are responsible for the answers when you certify using EDD Tele-CertSM or on your paper Continued Claim form. If you give false information or do not report information that you should report, you may be subject to disqualification and penalties.
More information about the certification process is included in the handbook, A Guide to Benefits and Employment Services (DE1275A), that was sent to you after you filed your claim. It explains how to properly complete the Continued Claim form.
You will receive a confirmation number at the end of your call. It’s important to have a pen and paper ready to write down your confirmation number for your records as well as record the answers you gave using the IVR system.
There are some temporary limitations on using the EDD Tele-CertSM method. Some claimants participating in the following UI Programs will not be able to certify using the EDD Tele-CertSM until all unemployment systems are fully automated:
- Apprenticeship Training
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
- Federal-State Extended Duration (FED-ED) Extension
- Partials Program (including Fisher partials and PMA partials)
- State Special School Benefits (SSSB)
- Trade Readjustment Allowance (TRA)
- Work Sharing Program (WS)
Submitting a Paper Continued Claim Form
In addition, if during any benefit weeks any of the following conditions apply to you, you must submit a paper form instead of using EDD Tele-CertSM:
- You changed your address or phone number.
- You served on jury duty.
- You performed work and/or earned wages during any week of the certifying period (this includes all reportable income such as pension, Workers Compensation, residuals, and commission).
- You are directly involved in a trade dispute and are on strike or locked out by your employer.
After You Certify For UI Benefits
Paper Continued Claim Form: Even if you use the EDD Tele-CertSM to certify for benefits, you will continue to receive a paper Continued Claim form along with your continuing benefit payments. You may certify for benefits using the paper form or EDD Tele-CertSM as long as one of the above temporary limitations or conditions do not apply to you.
DO NOT mail your paper claim form for any of the same week(s) you certify using the EDD Tele-CertSM since it may delay your payments. The system will use the first certification submitted to process your payments. Also, do not send any other correspondence to the address indicated for paper Continued Claim forms because that too could delay processing.
Errors: If you realize you made an error certifying for benefits using any of the available methods, contact EDD immediately through the EDD Web site at www.edd.ca.gov or call one of the available toll free phone numbers listed on the EDD Web site, to speak to a representative.
Processing Time: Allow 10 days for the processing of your EDD Tele-CertSM or paper form submission before contacting the EDD about the status of your benefit payment.
For information about certifying using EDD Web-CertSM, review the EDD Web-CertSM page.