Are you out of work due to a non-industrial injury, illness, or pregnancy related condition? Disability Insurance (DI) provides partial wage replacement to eligible workers who are unable to work because of a disability.
Disability is defined as any mental or physical illness or injury which prevents you from performing your regular or customary work according to California Unemployment Insurance Code, Section 2626.
The Disability Insurance Branch of the California Employment Development Department (EDD) administers three disability insurance plans:
- State Plan. The majority of employees in California are covered by this plan, and most of the information provided on the Disability Insurance portion of this site pertains to the State Plan.
- Voluntary Plan. This is a private plan that employers and employee groups may apply to EDD for approval of a Voluntary Plan if the majority of employees and the employer agree to do so. If covered by a Voluntary Plan, the provisions of this site may not apply to you. Obtain information about your coverage and file a voluntary plan claim through your employer.
- Elective Coverage. Employers and self–employed persons, including general partners, individuals in family employment not subject to the California Unemployment Insurance Code may elect coverage. For additional information on Elective Coverage or to apply for Elective Coverage, contact the Elective Coverage Unit at 916-654-6288.
- SDI Online
- Disability Insurance Automated Phone Information System
- Paid Family Leave Automated Phone Information System
- Disability Insurance Office Locations
- Paid Family Leave Office Locations