Skip to Main Content
Employment Development Department
Employment Development Department

Disaster Unemployment Assistance

To File a Claim

UI claims, including claims for Disaster Unemployment Assistance, can be filed online, by telephone, by mail, or by fax. The fastest and easiest option for individuals to file claims for UI benefits is online. Or call EDD at:

Individuals with current claims for benefits, who are unable to receive their Unemployment Insurance payments at their home due to the disaster or emergency, should contact their local post office.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I lost my job and cannot work because of the disaster or emergency?

There are two programs you may be eligible for:

What if I become ill or injured and cannot work because of a disaster or emergency?

I need help in finding a job.

For information on job search assistance, online job listings, workshops, information on wages and trends, and other employment and training services within your community, contact your local America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM (formerly known as One-Stop Career Centers).

How do I find out more?

In a disaster or emergency, EDD offices within the One-Stop Career Centers that are considered accessible and do not pose a health or safety threat to staff and the public will remain open. It is recommended that anyone seeking assistance from their local America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM (formerly known as One-Stop Career Centers), call the facility first to confirm hours of operation.

In some disaster areas, local assistance centers will be setup to combine the resources of local, state, federal, and voluntary agencies. For more information, please contact the California Emergency Management Agency at 916-845-8510 or visit the website.

Victims and Family Assistance, Other Resources . . .