Work Sharing Program
Employers can apply for the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Work Sharing program as a temporary alternative to layoffs if the business’s production or services have been reduced.
Apply or Renew Online
Apply or renew online for faster processing and to conveniently manage your account.
Note: You cannot apply for Work Sharing using Internet Explorer. Use Chrome for the best online experience.
Register for an Account
To access Work Sharing online, you must first register for an account, even if you already have an existing plan.
Once you have registered, log in to apply for a Work Sharing plan, submit a form, or quickly view and manage approved plans online.
If you have an existing plan, you can link it to your new online account after you log in.
Apply or Renew by Mail
All employers can also apply by mail with the Work Sharing (WS) Unemployment Insurance Plan Application (DE 8686) (PDF).
You may need to download the no-cost Adobe Reader to view and print the application.
Contact Work Sharing
If you need additional information on the Work Sharing Program, contact the EDD Special Claims Office at 1-916-464-3343.
If you are approved by your employer to participate in the Work Sharing Program and have questions about your claim, contact the EDD Special Claims office at 1-916-464-3300.
- Work Sharing Information for Employees FAQs
- Work Sharing Information for Employers FAQs
- Work Sharing Employer Requirements and Criteria (DE 8686RQ) (PDF)
- Work Sharing Application (DE 8686) (PDF)
- Work Sharing Unemployment Insurance Program Fact Sheet (DE 8714BB) (PDF)
- Layoff Alternatives
- Unemployment Insurance An Alternative to Layoffs: Work Sharing (DE 2329) (PDF)