Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
Learn what benefits are available, how to apply, and what to expect after applying.COVID-19 Unemployment Benefits Guide
The EDD provides a variety of support services to people who have lost their jobs, had their hours reduced, or had their businesses affected due to the impacts of COVID-19 in California. For faster and more convenient access to those services, we encourage the use of our online options.
For an overview of COVID-19 benefit programs and tips for navigating our website, view Assistance Programs for Workers during COVID-19 (YouTube).
For the latest Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim data available, visit the Newsroom.
If you already filed for UI, refer to our step-by-step instructions for what to expect through the course of your claim.
The federal CARES Act has added these provisions to expand unemployment benefits so we can help more Californians impacted by COVID-19:
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance – New program to provide unemployment benefits for people who don’t usually qualify for regular state Unemployment Insurance.
- Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation – A 13-week benefit extension for people who have used all benefits available in their regular Unemployment Insurance claim.
- Pandemic Additional Compensation – An additional $600 federal stimulus payment automatically added to each week of benefits received between March 29 and July 25, 2020.
You can receive your benefit payments on an EDD Debit CardSM. For information on delivery, card activation, replacing a lost or stolen card, and more, visit EDD Debit Card.
Get answers to specific questions you may have about COVID-19 and what programs and benefits may be available to you.Visit COVID-19 FAQs
Find the resources you need to file for unemployment, disability, or Paid Family Leave benefits and how to get back to work quickly.Access Worker Resources
Learn how you can manage the impact of COVID-19 on your business and affected workers.Access Employer Resources
If you need general or technical support, or to get help with your UI claim, visit Contact Us.
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency – Resources for employers and workers including workers’ compensation and paid sick leave.
- Labor Commissioner’s Office FAQs – Employee leave options, compensation, and salary.
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing – Job protection and employment discrimination.
- OnwardCA – One-stop resource for Californians impacted by job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Essential Needs – Includes food, health, housing, and other assistance.
- California Public Utilities Commission – Learn what utility assistance programs are available.
- Covered California – Resources to get information and apply for low- or no-cost health insurance.
- California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization