Public Records Request

En español

EDD public records are open to inspection during normal business hours. Original records may never be removed from any of our offices.

We can provide copies of identifiable public records upon request. There is no fee for the first 100 pages. Additional pages cost 10 cents per page. We will determine the cost for electronic copies separately.

If you need confidential information for a housing authority, background investigations, Enterprise Zone Program, or law enforcement requests, visit Third-Party Requests.

Note: EDD public records are open to inspection only if they are subject to disclosure under California Public Records Act, Government Code, sections 6250 et seq.

Request for Public Records

To inspect or request a copy of EDD public records, contact us in one of the following ways:

  • Submit a request online through Ask EDD.
  • Mail a request to: EDD Legal Office, 800 Capitol Mall, MIC 53, Sacramento, CA 95814-4703.
  • Make a request at any EDD public office.

Members of the media should email to submit their Public Records Act requests and for general inquiries regarding EDD information (e.g., requests for Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notifications, employment statistics, etc.).

Processing Requests

Within 10 days of receiving your request, we will let you know if we have the disclosable public records. If there is a delay, we may explain why in writing. If the request is not specific enough, we may ask for more information.

We will release electronic public records in electronic form unless we are prohibited from doing so. When a requested record is in both hard copy and electronic form, you can choose the type of format to receive.

Note: The EDD is not required to synthesize, manufacture, or summarize records, (i.e., develop new records) in response to a request.

Exempt Records

The Legislature has established that certain categories of records may be exempt from public disclosure. These exemptions balance the public’s right to access public records against the individual’s right to privacy and the need for government to perform its statutory duties. A list of statutory exemptions can be found in the California Public Records Act, Government Code, sections 6254 and 6275.

If we declined to provide access to the records, you can seek injunctive or declarative relief in any court of competent jurisdiction to enforce the right to inspect or receive a copy of public records under the California Public Records Act, Government Code, section 6258.