The EDD and employers work together to give California employees information about benefits available to them.
If you are an employer who hires independent contractors, please see Independent Contractor Reporting and California Independent Contractor Reporting FAQs for more information on reporting requirements.
If the EDD determines that one or more workers classified by an employer as independent contractors should have been classified as employees, please see the Information Sheet: Reporting Wages and Making Payments Following an Assessment for Misclassified Workers (DE 231MW) (PDF).
Posters and Notices
Employers are required to withhold and send State Disability Insurance (SDI) contributions to the EDD. They must also inform their employees of laws and regulations pertaining to employment, benefits, and working conditions. Currently, employers must provide information about SDI to their employees by posting and providing the following:
- Notice to Employees: Unemployment Insurance/Disability Insurance/Paid Family Leave (DE 1857A) - Poster tells employees of their right to claim Unemployment Insurance (UI), Disability Insurance (DI), and Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits.
- Disability Insurance Provisions (DE 2515) - Brochure for new hires and when an employee tells their employer they need to take time off from work due to a non-work-related illness, injury, pregnancy, or childbirth.
- Paid Family Leave Benefits (DE 2511) - Brochure for new hires and when an employee tells their employer they need to take time off from work to care for a seriously ill family member or to bond with a new child.
The pamphlets and poster are provided to employers at no cost. You can order forms and publications through the Online Forms and Publications page or by calling our toll-free number. You can also download and print DI Forms and Publications and PFL Forms and Publications.
Respond to the EDD for Employee Claims
When an employee files a claim, employers are required by law to respond to the following notices sent by the EDD:
- Notice to Employer of Disability Insurance Claim Filed (DE 2503) - Sent to the employer after the employee has filed a DI claim. Employers must complete and return the DE 2503 to the EDD within two working days using either SDI Online or the paper form to verify the information the employee provided on their claim.
- Notice of Paid Family Leave (PFL) Claim Filed (DE 2503F) - Sent to the employer after the employee has filed a PFL claim. Employers must complete and return the DE 2503F paper form to the EDD within two working days to verify the information the employee provided on their claim.
Employers with employees working in San Francisco: You may be required to supplement employee wages under the San Francisco Paid Parental Leave for Bonding with New Child Ordinance. For more information, view the Paid Parental Leave Ordinance.