FAQs - Tax Forms and Publications
Downloading and Printing
- My browser gives me an error message that it can’t handle the format of the document. What do I need to view the forms?
The forms are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You may need to download the no-cost Adobe Reader to view and print linked documents.
You can download the no-cost Adobe Reader from Adobe’s website.
Adobe has detailed instructions for many languages, platforms (e.g., Windows and Mac OS), and connection speeds on their site. It is a good idea to print those pages so you have the instructions handy while you install their software.
Go to Adobe Reader Support. You’ll find links to troubleshoot downloading, printing, and other problems. They also have a search feature to find tutorials and troubleshooting information.
Employers and tax preparers may also file payroll tax reports using alternate forms printed on their own computers. Select the form link to view the print specifications for the DE 34PS (PDF) and the DE 542PS (PDF).
For additional information about alternate forms, contact the Alternate Forms Coordinator at 916-255-0649.
- Download the form that you want to use.
- Open the form in Adobe Reader.
- Select the first blank field and begin to enter your data (Note: The numbers will not line up with the boxes - this is okay).
- Tab to the next field and enter all required data until the form is complete.
Important: If you are using the no-cost version of Adobe Reader, you cannot save your data, so you will need to print one copy for your records and one to mail to the EDD.
Select the box and hit the space bar to check/uncheck the box.
- When I type something on a fill-in form and tab to the next field, the data in the first field disappears; when I select that field again, it’s still there. When I print the form, only some of the data that I typed prints out. What’s wrong?
You are probably using an older version of Adobe Reader. If you upgrade your Adobe Reader, the form should work correctly.