Unemployment Insurance - After You File
What happens next?
After you file for Unemployment Insurance (UI), you will be mailed information about your claim and the UI program. Be sure to read and respond to all requests to avoid payment delays. You will also receive a separate mailing with your first Continued Claim Form (DE 4581) used to certify for benefits.
How to Certify for Benefits
To request benefit payments, you must provide eligibility information to the Employment Development Department (EDD) every two weeks. This is known as certifying for benefits. The fastest way is through UI OnlineSM. You can also certify by phone using EDD Tele-CertSM at 1-866-333-4606, or by mailing in your Continued Claim Form (DE 4581) by the mail date on the form. For more information, refer to the Certify for UI Benefits.
You will receive an EDD Debit CardSM by mail after your first payment has been issued.
Payment information is updated daily and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through your UI Online account or by calling the UI Self-Service Phone Line at 1-866-333-4606.
If there are any questions about your eligibility, the EDD will schedule a phone interview with you. This is your opportunity to discuss your claim with an EDD representative and provide important eligibility information.
If you are not available for your phone interview, the EDD will make a decision based on the available facts. This can result in the delay or denial of your UI benefit payments. To reschedule your phone interview use UI Online or Contact UI.
The EDD may also contact your former employers to verify or obtain information about your claim.
How to Prepare for Your Phone Interview
The EDD will mail you a notice with the time and date for your scheduled phone interview. The notice includes several questions that the interviewer may ask during the interview. Review these questions and gather any information that may be helpful. It is important that you:
- Be available for your scheduled interview.
- Be ready to provide information on why you no longer work for your previous employer.
- Answer the interview questions with detailed responses
Phone Interview Questions
For more information about the questions we can ask during the phone interview:
- Review the appropriate volume of the Benefit Determination Guide. For example, the volume called Voluntary Quit (VQ) includes information about how people’s reason(s) for quitting their jobs affects their eligibility. Subsection VQ40, Fact-Finding Guide, lists questions that the EDD often asks to determine eligibility.
- Review the Meeting Eligibility Requirements page as well as the Eligibility FAQ page.
Other Forms That You Will Receive
Below you will find samples of the forms you will receive by mail when you file a claim: