Certify for Unemployment Insurance Benefits
Certifying is the process of answering basic questions every two weeks that tells us you’re still unemployed and eligible to continue receiving benefit payments.
You will receive your claim package in the mail verifying you are eligible for benefits. You may also receive an email from us notifying you that your registration has been completed in UI OnlineSM. Once you receive this information, it is time for you to certify for your first benefit payment.
Your first certification period begins two weeks after you file for unemployment.
To get started in certifying for benefits:
- Log in to Benefit Programs Online.
- Follow the instructions in UI Online to complete the steps provided.
After your first benefit payment, you must tell us that you’re still unemployed and eligible to keep receiving benefits. You must do this every two weeks.
As you collect benefits, you will receive notifications in your UI Online account telling you when to take action. You may also receive important email reminders from our online system.
Submit on Time
If you certify early or late, your payment could be delayed or denied. You must tell us that you’re still unemployed and eligible to keep receiving benefits. You must do this every 14 days from the date displayed on your claim form.
We recommend that you certify for benefits with UI Online because it is a fast, convenient, and a secure way to certify.
You can also certify by phone using EDD Tele-CertSM at 1-866-333-4606.
Note: If you are receiving Pandemic Unemployment Assistance or Federal-State Extended Duration benefits, you cannot use EDD Tele-Cert to certify. You must certify using UI Online or by mail.
Due to the impact of COVID-19, we made the following temporary exceptions for all Unemployment Insurance claims until further notice:
- Waiting Period – The 7-day waiting period is waived for claims beginning on or after January 19, 2020. After you submit your first two-week continued certification, you will be paid for the first week of your claim.
- Work Search – You are not required to look for work each week to be eligible for benefits.
By certifying for unemployment benefits, you are declaring by law that you meet the eligibility requirements to collect benefits.
As a result, you will receive a benefit payment after you complete your certification. If you do not receive a payment within 10 days of certifying, there may be an issue with your claim. For more information, visit Claim Status: Pending Payment.
If you withhold or give false information to receive benefits, such as not reporting work or wages, you are committing fraud. Penalties may include disqualification for unemployment insurance, losing your benefits, and criminal prosecution.
Just like your bank account, you want to closely manage and monitor your account with us.
Manage Your Account
UI Online is the fastest and most convenient way to manage your account. You can:
- Receive important notifications such as reminders to certify for benefits.
- Get your latest claim and payment information.
- View in-person and phone appointments.
- Reschedule a phone interview appointment.
- Update your address and phone number.
- View, print, or request a copy of your Form 1099G tax information from the past five years.
Last Revised: 02/24/2021