Lost Wages Assistance Program
The Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) program, authorized by the Presidential Memorandum, provides eligible claimants a supplemental payment of $300 per week, for up to six weeks, in addition to their weekly unemployment benefit amount. The LWA program will expire on Saturday, December 26, 2020.
The payments are for weeks of unemployment between July 26 and September 5, 2020.
To be eligible for LWA payments, you must:
- Provide, or have provided, a one-time self-certification indicating that you are unemployed or partially unemployed due to COVID-19. All self-certifications must be submitted by Saturday, December 26, 2020 to be considered towards LWA eligibility.
- Have a weekly benefit amount of $100 or more, even if you received less because you reported wages. If you reported wages and saw a reduction in your weekly benefit amount below $100, your eligibility for LWA payments will not be impacted.
If we find that you are not eligible, you will receive a Notice of Determination for Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) Program (DE 6330LWA).
Note: You are not eligible for LWA payments if you are receiving Disaster Unemployment Assistance, State Special School Benefits, or a Training Extension.
If you indicated that you were unemployed or partially unemployed due to COVID-19 when filing for unemployment, whether it was regular Unemployment Insurance or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, you will automatically receive LWA payments. No further action is needed.
If you did not indicate that you were unemployed or partially unemployed due to COVID-19 when you filed for unemployment, you must provide a one-time self-certification. All self-certifications must be submitted by Saturday, December 26, 2020 to be considered towards LWA eligibility.
We will contact you using UI OnlineSM as well as by email, text, or mailed notice asking you to provide the information needed to process your payments. Do this as soon as possible. You might not receive LWA payments if you respond late or if the funding for this program becomes unavailable. For faster service and prompt notifications, register in UI Online.
You can also provide your self-certification by following these steps no later than Saturday, December 26, 2020:
- Visit Ask EDD.
- Select the category Unemployment Insurance Benefits.
- Select the sub-category Payments.
- Select the topic Lost Wages Assistance Program, Self-Certification (Ask EDD).
- Follow the prompt and select Continue to submit your one-time self-certification.
How You Will Receive Payment
We will add LWA payments to your regular unemployment amount for any eligible weeks. Payments will be issued retroactively for weeks that you have already received unemployment benefits, beginning July 26.
- You will receive payments based on when you certified for unemployment benefits. Payments may be lumped together or come as separate $300 payments.
- If you were not paid for any weeks due to excessive earnings, being fully employed, or disqualification, you will not receive payment for those weeks.
Note: You will be paid by EDD Debit CardSM or checks in the mail based on how you’ve received past benefit payments.