Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Outreach Program
The Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker (MSFW) Outreach Program provides a full range of employment services to agricultural employers and migrant, seasonal, or migrant food-processing workers.
As of 2017, California is home to more than 400,000 agricultural jobs, including more than 254,000 MSFWs.
The EDD assists farmworkers who otherwise would not have access to services through the normal process within the America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM network. EDD representatives conduct outreach in areas of high agricultural activity to provide recruitment services to employers and information to agricultural job seekers at no-cost, such as:
- Job search assistance
- CalJOBSSM navigation information and registration
- General information about unemployment insurance.
- General information about disability insurance.
- Labor market information.
- Vocational training and career opportunities.
- Referral to supportive services or organizations also serving farmworkers.
- Farmworker rights and labor law information.
- Assistance with filing workplace violation complaints.
If you are an employer or migrant or seasonal farmworker and would like further information, contact your nearest America’s Job Center of California or call the America’s Service Locator toll-free at 1-877-872-5627 (TTY 1-877-889-5627).
Monitor Advocate Office
The EDD Monitor Advocate Office is responsible for:
- Overseeing the MSFW Outreach Program
- Monitoring the Program’s compliance with federal and state regulations relative to farmworker services
- Ensuring that migrant and seasonal farmworkers receive a full range and equitable level of employment services as those offered to non-farmworkers
- Assessing the needs of California’s agricultural workforce
- Working with other agencies to facilitate workforce development services and benefits for farmworkers
- Collaborating with federal and state regulatory and enforcement agencies to provide protection to farmworkers as provided under the law
- Facilitating the employment service and employment-related law complaint system, which helps address labor-related complaints
For more information, contact the Monitor Advocate Office toll-free at 1-866-289-8356.
California’s online job center for employers and job seekers.
- Disability Insurance Provisions Brochure (DE 2515) (PDF)
A comprehensive description of eligibility, benefit specifics, and a list of office locations and contact information.
- Migrant Seasonal Farmworker Outreach Program Brochure (DE 6073) (PDF)
A summary of employment services for migrant and seasonal farmworkers and employers in areas of high agricultural activity in California.
- Paid Family Leave (PFL) Brochure (DE 2511) (PDF)
A summary of PFL services, eligibility requirements, and how you can apply.
- State Disability Insurance (SDI): SDI Online Tips for Claimants (DE 8515) (PDF)
A quick reference guide to assist you in creating an SDI Online account and filing your Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave claim through SDI Online.
- Unemployment Insurance (UI): File Claims, Payment Information, General Information (DE 2320M) (PDF)
A quick reference guide to assist you in filing and managing your UI claim, including a list of helpful resources.
- Consulate General of Mexico
The Consulate assists Mexican citizens who are living or traveling in the United States (website only available in Spanish).
- La Cooperativa Campesina de California
La Voz del Campo/Voice of the Field informational newsletter produced for California’s agricultural communities.
- US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service
Provides children and needy families with better access to food and a more healthful diet through its food assistance programs and comprehensive nutrition efforts.
- US Department of Education Migrant and Seasonal Farmworkers Program
The Migrant and Seasonal Farmworkers Program makes comprehensive vocational rehabilitation services available to migrant or seasonal farmworkers with disabilities.
- US Department of Education Office of Migrant Education
Provides leadership, technical assistance, and financial support to improve the educational opportunities and academic success of migrant children, youth, agricultural workers, fishers, and their families.
- US Department of Labor Programs for Migrant and Seasonal Farmworkers
The Employment and Training Administration provides a variety of services to farmworkers and agricultural employers.
- US Department of Labor Occupational Outlook for Agricultural Workers
Quick facts on statistics and data involving agricultural workers and their occupations.
- US Department of Labor Safety and Health Topics for Agricultural Operations
General resources for research-based information for agricultural producers, small business owners, youth, and consumers, and training and technical assistance on agricultural issues, including safety and health in rural areas and communities of all sizes.