Partial claims are for workers whose employers want to keep them employed when there is a lack of work.
You can file for Unemployment Insurance benefits and certify to receive ongoing payments using UI OnlineSM. You are not required to look for a new job because you are considered partially unemployed.
How to File a Claim
You should have the following items prepared to file a claim for partial UI benefits:
- Full Name
- Social Security number
- Mailing address
- Home address (if different than mailing address)
- Phone number
- Most recent employer information
- Company name
- Address (mailing and physical location)
- Phone number
- All employer information from the 18 months before you filed your claim
- Names of employers
- Period of employment
- Wages earned
- Method of payment
- Driver’s license or ID card number, if you have one
- Most recent date worked and the reason you are no longer working
- Citizenship status (which can include an alien registration number)
If we need to verify the information you provide, we will mail you additional information or request more documentation.
Due to the sudden and immense impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on businesses and workers and the unprecedented demand for UI benefits, if you are currently not issuing the Notice of Reduced Earnings (DE 2063)(PDF) or Notice of Reduced Earnings (DE 2063F) (PDF) to your employees, do not issue these forms to your employees to receive UI benefits.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the EDD is not requiring workers who are working reduced hours or are completely laid off to seek work. There is no need to participate in the Partials program at this time. The primary benefit of previously participating in this program was to retain your skilled and trained workforce because they were not required to look for work. The EDD recommends you take the following steps:
- Do not issue the Notice of Reduced Earnings (DE 2063) (PDF).
- Inform your working or laid off employees to apply for UI benefits online for the fastest way to file.
- Inform your employees that after they apply for UI benefits online and their claim is processed, to certify for continued benefits for every two-week period by logging into their UI Online account for the fastest way to certify and receive their benefit payments.
NOTE: If you have been participating in the Partials program by issuing the Notice of Reduced Earnings (DE 2063) (PDF) to your employees, we will separately work with you to have your employees switch to regular UI continued claim forms. This will ease the burden on you of having to complete the employer portion of the paper DE 2063 form and allow your employees to certify for continued benefit online.