Qualify for a Training Extension
If you have been approved for California Training Benefits (CTB), a training extension (TE) can provide you additional weeks of benefit payments while you complete your school or training. Only one TE is allowed for each CTB-approved training period.
How to Qualify
To qualify for a TE, you must:
- Have a current and valid Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim.
- Meet all eligibility criteria to receive UI benefits.
- Start training before the current claim expires.
- Be approved by the EDD for one of the training categories under CTB.
- Contact UI before your 16th week of benefit payments. If the maximum award of your claim is less than 16 weeks of benefit payments, you must contact us before your claim reaches a balance of zero.
Inquire About a TE
To let the EDD know you are interested:
- Report the start date of training when you file or reopen a claim.
- Submit a question through UI OnlineSM under the category School or Training and topic California Training Benefits (CTB).
- Report school or training when certifying for UI benefits.
- Contact the Department by phone.
- Ask the EDD about CTB when you attend one of the following workshops:
- Personalized Job Search Assistance
- Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment
- Initial Assistance Workshop
How TEs are Calculated
A TE is based on your regular UI claim at the date that you were approved for CTB. Your weekly benefit amount (WBA) is the same as the amount indicated on the Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award (DE 429Z) (PDF) you received when your regular UI claim was filed.
You will only receive TE benefits while enrolled in a CTB-approved training and have a balance above zero on your TE claim. However, if you qualify for a new UI claim while there is a balance on your TE, you must collect benefits on the new claim, even if the new claim has a lower WBA.
How to Know if You Qualify
If you are eligible for CTB or a TE, we will mail you a Notice of Unemployment Insurance Determination (DE 1080CZ) (PDF) informing you of requirements to maintain your CTB eligibility.
If you are not eligible for CTB or a TE, we will mail you a Notice of Unemployment Insurance Determination (DE 1080CZ) (PDF) explaining why you did not qualify for CTB/TE and will inform you of your appeal rights.